Workbooks I edited for ARISE Foundation’s Life Skills curriculum series. ARISE provides life skills and staff training to at-risk youth and the adults who care for them. My tasks for these workbooks included:
• Soliciting writers throughout North America for short stories, personal essays, and poems about youth in gangs or with anger issues.
• Editing ARISE Foundation’s selections to include in two workbooks for Life Skills curriculum series: Gangs: 50 Stories of Fracture Lives and Teen Anger Danger.
• Interviewing adolescent boys in Palm Beach Juvenile Detention Center about their experiences as gang members, and soliciting their feedback on the curriculum series.
(click on the images to view in new tabs.)
Writing Workshop Facilitator, Horizon Alternative High School, Spring 2021
A zine created by a group of at-risk teens I worked with for 10 weeks. As a writing workshop facilitator, I typically:
• Motivate groups of at-risk youth in educational or residential settings to use creative writing to regulate emotions and strengthen interpersonal communication skills.
• Incorporate situation-appropriate writing prompts and exercises to encourage individual participation and foster collaborative attitude within group.
• Assist youth in creating a zine or website to showcase their writing, so they can see they’re capable of creating literary work of value.
Writing Workshop Facilitator, Batshaw Youth and Family Centres, Fall 2020
A zine created by a group of at-risk teens I worked with for 10 weeks (clicking on the image will lead you away from this web page to the host website of the zine).
Some outlines for academic courses and community workshops I’ve designed and taught.
Everyone deserves to have a passion or two! One of mine is creative writing. These are press releases for my three books: Carousel: A Novel (2020, Inanna Publications), Death Is a Side-Effect: Poems (2019, Frog Hollow Press), and The Poor Children: Stories (Santa Fe Writers Project, 2015).