April Ford served as a Guest Editor for the 2017 Pushcart Prize anthology, after her story “Project Fumarase” won a 2016 Pushcart Prize. In 2013, David Morrell selected her manuscript of stories, The Poor Children, to receive Grand Prize for the Santa Fe Writers Project Literary Awards Program for Fiction. The debut collection was released worldwide by SFWP in 2015. April has spent time at Virginia Center for the Creative Arts as a Robert Johnson Fellow, and at Ucross Foundation as a Writer in Residence. Her debut novel, Carousel, is forthcoming with Inanna Publications.
Selected Awards & Honors:
* Finalist, “If I Have a Daughter,” 2016 Lascaux Prize in Poetry.
* Guest Editor (prose), 2017 Pushcart Prize anthology.
* Finalist, “The Rag” (personal essay), Beecher’s Magazine‘s 2016 nonfiction contest.
* 2016 Pushcart Prize, “Project Fumarase” (short story).
* First Runner-Up, Carousel: A Novel, 2016 Salt Cay Writers Retreat Merit Scholarship Contest.
* Semi-Finalist, Gentle: A Novel, 2014 William Wisdom–William Faulkner Creative Writing Competition, Pirate’s Alley Faulkner Society.
* Finalist, Gentle: A Novel, 2014 Molly Ivors Prize for Fiction, Gorsky Press.
* Grand Prize, The Poor Children: Stories, 2013 Santa Fe Writers Project Literary Awards Program for Fiction.
* Writer in Residence, May/June 2013, Ucross Foundation.
* Finalist, The Poor Children: Stories, 2013 international Scott Prize for a debut short story collection, Salt Publishing, UK.
* Robert Johnson Fellow, February 2013, Virginia Center for the Creative Arts.
Click link to download: The Poor Children press release.
Click on an image to download:
Photo credits: Parker Troischt (top & bottom-center), Antonella Fratino (bottom-left), SFWP (bottom-right).